Wednesday, November 15, 2023

You don't want me as a juror under SARS2 circumstances, but you may get stuck with me...

 I haven't been called to jury duty lately, but just reading about the stress of others here is what I have to say if I am.  Sorry, but under the current SARS to circumstances I likely can't uphold justice.   

It's not that I don't want to be a juror under normal circumstances.    In many ways I do...granted when I say that I mean an activist juror.   But you aren't required to state why you made your choice so???   

Realistically, even for this I'd have to put current childcare expectations aside which are ridiculous in the state I live in.   But let's for the sake of this just focus on SARS2.  

I don't even feel comfortable taking the oath.   Because I don't truly believe I can uphold it.   If I say I can, I am probably just doing it under duress.   

Really there are several problems:

1. Given we are in "you do you" territory, I kind of have to do me.   As in my health and safety and that of my family matter more than the unfortunate person who would have me as a juror.   This would be multiplied indefinitely if I got an anti-masker bully judge who made me (or tried to make me) remove my mask.   As in the more dangerous the situation the more I'm doing anything possible to get out of it, even convicting someone who I can't say is guilty.   But at the end of the day, it is my life or theirs.    

2.  I'm not sure I can actually find anyone guilty due to COVID brain.  And no, I'm not talking about my brain.   I'm talking about that of someone who is put on trial.   

As in "how do I know what happened was really the person" and not the person's brain going haywire from SARS2 (COVID).   One thing I have observed: SARS2 will cause people to do things out of character.   And by out of character, I mean both a lack of character and impulsivity.   

I see two problems with that.   First, the simpler, which is what is the point of jailing someone for years, possibly life, if the cognitive impairment was temporary.   

So, if I am called, I fully plan to be an activist juror in most cases and refuse to convict if it is safe for me to do so.   See the first rule, if someone is coughing next to me maskless.   

3.  That being said, I might be able to throw out number 2 under a certain circumstance.   The circumstance being the prosecutor is masked and the defense attorney isn't.   That would also go back to my reasons for why I actually want to be a juror.   I'm not betting on either of them being...but there are sometimes pleasant surprises.  

Anyway, the jury is out on if all this will actually play out in real life.   

Other COVID related posts:

101 How not to Write an Inclusive Unmasking Letter

Maskless "Environmentalists" Throwing Paint: Please Stop

Shouldn't the anti-mask trolls be out enjoying their best life? Why are they here on social media?


Rachelle Kaufman at this point just wants people to stop killing each other.   She doesn't think this is too much to ask, yet 95 percent of the world seems determined to kill each other.   She is also a mother, gardener, and author of a number of books.   For more info on her books please visit Amazon.com: Rachelle Kaufman: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the deal with J Street (IMHO)

 IMHO, J street is just another form of Zionism, that uses a different tactic that appeals to a more liberal/left wing audience.    In my op...