Thursday, January 15, 2015

What motivated me to get my books done

Updated: Jan 2020

I received the comment "Interested in your travel books and how you got started writing them"! So today I'm going to try to answer the second part of that question.  Since writing my shorter original answer I have been asked this several more times.   

For a really long time, perhaps forever, I had thought about writing books, but didn't get around to it. I think what really gave me motivation to get serious about getting books done and writing was when my mom was diagnosed with cancer about a year and a half ago. My mom had always talked about wanting to write books and had started books but never gotten anywhere close to completing the books. My mom being diagnosed with cancer made me realize perhaps that time is not indefinite. That if I had a dream, such as creating the numerous books I wanted to create, I should do it now.

I will mention that starting is just the beginning.   Writing is easier and more fun than editing.   So it took a lot of perseverance to keep going.   When writing my first book, which was my Dublin travel guide, I didn't even know if and how I would be able to publish it. 

I was pleased to find publishing and copyrighting was fairly simple.  Once I knew that self-publishing was easy it was easier to find motivation.  But what isn't simple and is still a challenge is marketing in a very flooded market.   There are so many books out there and sales are a challenge.   At least, sales on the level I would like to have them. 

Still, despite not selling as many copies as I would hope, I am still glad that I have written my books.  I have enjoyed the process...well at least most of the time.   I have also reached some people with my message.   Hope to reach more in the future. 

I am also happy to report that my mom's cancer is currently in remission. 

So I believe if you have a dream to write a book find the time and stick with it even if you make slow progress!


                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the deal with J Street (IMHO)

 IMHO, J street is just another form of Zionism, that uses a different tactic that appeals to a more liberal/left wing audience.    In my op...