Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Is the Hungarian Parliament a must see?


The Hungarian Parliament is an impressive architectural amazement.  Hungary in the late 1800's had lots of wealth and beyond that 1896 represented the 1000 year anniversary of Hungary.  So Hungary set off to build a Parliament that resembled and exceeded the Parliament in London.

I have often heard that touring Parliament is a must do.  Here is my take on this.  I highly recommend at least marveling at the Hungarian Parliament from the outside.

Paying for a tour to is more of a nice to do, but not a must do.  Well at least in my opinion, I know of other travel writers who would disagree!

Pros of going on a tour: Parliament is also spectacular on the inside.  You get to see the crown jewels from Saint Steven I.

Cons of going on a tour:  Touring Parliament is one of the most expensive things you will do per minute in inexpensive Budapest.  The tour mainly just gives you basic info and doesn't involve asking questions.  The tour also rushes you through.  In addition to a tour guide, the tour also comes free with a security guard.  Honestly, to me the tour felt as much about making sure you didn't go where you weren't supposed to, as about providing an exciting tour.  Also, the crown jewels are likely only partially or not authentic.  You have to revolve your day around getting to your tour at a certain time.

If you take a tour, I would make sure you book in advance online.

I'd skip the gift shop, unless you have very limited time in Hungary, as the gift shop is quite overpriced.  You can get souvenirs for much less elsewhere (one good place is the Great Market Hall).
                                                     
                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the deal with J Street (IMHO)

 IMHO, J street is just another form of Zionism, that uses a different tactic that appeals to a more liberal/left wing audience.    In my op...